Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 17th 2009

Weather: Cloudy but not cold. Good walking weather
Where I walked today: Near Lake City PA
The “Safe house” where I stayed: Tom and Barbara George They are members of Holy Cross Church. We went to 8 am mass this morning. Yes I said 8 am! The church is in the round like a theatre. It is really exquisite, there were beautiful sculptures throughout. One of Jesus on the cross, except there was no cross, so interesting. I was told that the sculpture originally had a cross except that it was too heavy to display with the cross, truly striking without it. This is one of the many churches that Teci called back in March and they connected me with my hosts Tom and Barb George.
Who walked with me: Both Hope and Glenda were drivers so that they both had a chance to walk with me. I think both Teci and Sally were kind of worried to leave me “alone”. There was no reason to worry. I am well cared for and having a grand time.
One thing I really want you to know: Remember a special Underground Railroad home that I mentioned? Well we went back to the house to take some pictures. I wasn’t sure if my friends the Deiners still lived there. I met Albert and Shirley Deiner when I walked back in 2003.

Here’s the story and it is a great one. I was with Hope and Glenda and we pulled into the drive way thinking that we would take some pictures even though no one seemed to be home. The Gals got out first and then Shirley Deiner walked out on to the porch. She just appeared. We hugged each other like long lost relatives. Shirley kept saying to me “It’s a miracle. I saw in the paper that you were here but no one knew how to reach you.” I didn’t even hear you knock. If you had come by 15 minutes earlier we would not have even been home.” I found out later that Shirley had even called the paper in Erie PA to see if they knew how to reach me.

I have met and reconnected with so many kind, loving, wonderful, people. I have run out of words to describe it all. I spend much of my time saying wow, wow and wow. Teci tells me that she made sure to call the Deiners and invite them to the May 30th celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment