Monday, May 11, 2009

5/10/09 Mothers Day

Quaker meeting with Dr. J's gathering and Friend Janet Lundgren whooffered a quote from Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels ( because I mentioned I had started to write my middle name Evelyn in signing it, without really being aware, sometime during the last few months. It is of course now a realization that my mother who is always with me is a more prominent presence lately) "Truth grows gradually in us, like a musician who plays a piece over and over until suddenly she hears it for the first time."

We rushed back to Buffalo to spend a glorious Mothers Day with the Hornberger family. This the family who put me up in 2003 when we had a sudden gap between RV'ers. Then came Dr. Bob's heavenly appearance and his six year old son Ryan offered me the "best bed in the house:" his bottom bunk with a special new mattress. What joyous chaos with 35 Hornbergers all together acting as if Sally and I were Hornbergers too. Bob's mother is tiny, about my height, white haired, strong, smart, sweet, dear and constantly ready to serve. Anyone, everyone, can I get you... do you need... have some more... She had made three salads; cutting fresh fruit and cubed potatoes starting at 6:30 AM – cakes, pies, and more and more grilled shrimp, hamburgers, hotdogs and and...

Lillian's sister Kathryn is larger, rounder, louder/laughing and also brought food food food. as did second generation Hornbergers. Lacrosse and hockey in the driveway. small trampoline jumping on the front lawn. Bob had been heating the pool for days and the hot tub was a toasty 103degrees. 8-10 young Hornbergers were in pool all afternoon and I watched in my sweatpants, warm hoodie and smartwoolsox and mittens ( actually the mittens are a fib but the rest is true because the temperature was a brisk and overcast 50 until very late towards evening when the sun tried to peek through.) None of the kids knew how cold it was.

Age range from two year old Lauren to 79 year old Lillian, Bob's mom called Mema.

Loving, lovely family. Wow

Sister Debbie, a nurse anesthesiologist (sp) gave me a manicure (silvery-bronze desert-sand)and explained cataract surgery Then (SAND BAGS AT SIDES OF HEAD PARALYZING ANESTHESIA, MAJOR CUTTING AND RECUPERATION) & Now. I had cataract surgery just a sfew months ago and did not ask details at the time. Fascinating, amazing; they emulsify the cataract now and they unroll the new lens from the tip of an instrument slipped through a tiny cut to unfold into place on MY EYE!!! Takes about ten minutes. Aren't scientists/doctors/nurses something else?

You may not have wanted the gory details but there is so much to tell I typed that story too. whoops.

Who walked with me: Sally Tatnall: my good friend, fellow walker and planner extraordinaire. One thing I really want you to know: That since it was mothers day they gave both Sally and Me a moon plant. It only blooms in the dark or at night. I also need to mention that I got a manicure with a special nail polish that changes color in the light. It goes from silver to bronze. I surprise myself everytime I look down at my hands.
Sally and I walked a few miles even though it was mothers day.

All too long...
So long & Love,
Joan Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment