Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Date: May 19 2009

Here I am walking on a rainy day in my red raincoat.

Ok evening of the 18th actually.

Weather: A lot warmer today and sunny. Good walking weather.
Where I walked today: near the Pennsylvania, Ohio state line.
The “Safe house” where I stayed: Glenda dropped me off here at George Barnum’s house in Austinburg, OH. Now she is headed back to Toledo, OH. I will stay at George’s house alone tonight. My new driver Andi Schmidt will be here in the morning.

Who walked with me: Marilyn S. one day and then I walked alone the next couple of days.
One thing I really want you to know:
I am so full of wonderful stories; I often think that I have told a story to Teci when I was actually talking with my son Danny. In any case here goes: We were just letting me off at my beginning spot and the car behind honked to be let through. I offered a news/flyer and they pulled off and I stepped off. Way down the road I looked up and thought I saw a dog walking toward me, and then, when my old pre-cataract surgery prescription glasses finally focused, it was someone on a bicycle pedaling for all he was worth towards me in the wide berm. And he stopped right in front of me smiling to beat the band and extended a cold can of Pepsi. There was this adorable young kid in tee shirt and torn-knee jeans, saying, "That was my sister and me in the orange car...and I had to come and meet you. I need to give you a hug." I of course was ready to melt how wonderfully sweet and loving. A teenager, actually graduating teen, Jacob Heitzer. "You are so inspiring, I want to do something like that but I don't think I ever will. I want to bike across the country, from California to the east coast... but I don't think I ever will” I told him I thought he would someday just find the time and maybe with some friend just be able to plan and to do it. I told him about Doris Haddock http://www.grannyd.com/ (he never heard of her and not enough people have) who walked across the country when she was 90 years old; her mission was campaign finance reform and she had been a social justice activist all of her life. When she got to the east coast, a terrible snow storm blocked her walking so she sent back to her home in New England for her cross-country skis and skied 100 miles to keep her appointed time in Washington DC. Jacob hugged me again twice more and I told him I knew he would bike across the US someday probably long before he was 90. Reminds me of my daughter’s friend Robert Owens who got on a bike at 10 and never stopped riding. He belongs to a bike club http://www.majortaylor.com/
He said, you are so inspiring then asked for another hug which is exactly what I needed from him.

JACOB HEITZER WILL CROSS THE US ON BIKE AND IT WILL BE A GRAND ADVENTURE; PROBABLY WITHIN THE VERY NEXT FEW YEARS.

Do you know why I am so sure of this? I think it is because any teenager that would chase me down by bicycle has great determination



No comments:

Post a Comment