Saturday, June 27, 2009

May 30


May 30, 2009. What a parade. What a celebration. It was way beyond wonderful. So the walking has ended but the joy continues; when am I going to stop grinning? I am so grateful for all of the hard work, creativity and love given by so many. It was truly a gathering of the Beloved Community. The Beloved Community marching down inner city East 105th Street. All of us Freedom Seekers headed straight to our beloved 'safe house.'







Saturday when I walked into the Bratenahl Village Park and saw so many friends, so many bright-red-In Their Path 2009! T shirts, it was literally breath taking. Time disappeared; I have no idea how long it took us to get from Bratenahl to Cozad-Bates. I just remember floating along with neighbors, friends, board members, my children and grandchildren. My big strong beautiful niece, Gianna and her wife (…that was shrieking exciting because I thought Gianna and Lauren had to work and so I did not know they had driven in from Syracuse.)
My good , great friend, Stephen Kahnert in from Chicago. Andrew Allen came from Cincinnati. Andrew joined me the first week of the 2002 walk and walked all the way to Cleveland. A huge group (20 or more) Gilmour Academy students. The Holy Rosary Montessori Girl Scout troop. Mustafa Griffin and student from C.A.S.T.L.E. charter school. And I should not have named anyone because, I of course, cannot name everyone, and I really, really want to.

My ‘papparazzi’ friends Adrienne Brockway or Kim Yanoshik running, kneeling, jumping to get just the right angle. My son Robert, holding the video camera professionally steady, asking reporter style questions to capture the moment. Lovely Margaret Bernstein.


The beloved Restore Cleveland Hope board members. Bookwomen book club members. Euclid Avenue Congregational pastor Terri and my church-family members. Ndeda Letson, there since dawn. And on and on and on. You should have been there to soak it all in. This is the Beloved Community. WOW


Through Wade Oval Sista Jewel’s young African dance group swirled our way down the street and onto the Cozad-Bate’s lawn. And there below the bright, blue sun-shiny-sky, we had cool clear, water and refreshing triangles of sweet watermelon.





Then the wonderful program participants: Ismail Douglas, Sally Tatnall, Chris Ronayne, Deborah Van Kleef, Kevin Conwell, Shari Cloud, Mittie Jordan, Chris Begay, with the folks on the lawn singing and clapping and praying and cheering along. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
The end of the In Their Path 2009! walk. What a gathering. What a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment